If you’re a new portal user with True Dialog, the first thing you are likely thinking about is “how do I get contacts opted in?” This is a quick guide to making the decision of how to go about that and the logic behind each choice.
1. Decide how contacts will opt-in to your SMS program.
- Will they text a Keyword to a short code?
- Is there an external CRM or other contact management system where your contacts are housed?
- Do you have an existing list of contacts who already agreed to receive SMS from you?
2. Add Internal Contacts First
For the sake of testing, make sure to add yourself and any other decision makers into the platform. You can either manually add these contacts with the “Add Contact” button under Manage Contacts or Import a contact list. Either way, make sure to create a Contact Attribute first – something to identify those folks as internal (suggest calling it Internal or InternalContact and setting the data to Yes/No).
3. Make Contact Lists
In the True Dialog Platform / Portal, you setup a contact list by defining how you want your contacts to be filtered (segmented). This means you can create a list (segment) before you even have contacts in your account. Lists are dynamic, so as people opt-in or add a new contact attribute, they will be automatically added to the lists you pre-build.
- The base of every contact list will be “Contact Is a Subscriber” (see screenshot)
- Add the Contact Attributes that define that list. (Suggest the first list is your “Internal Contacts List”
- Contacts > Manage Contact Lists > Create List
4. Get people opted-in
- Setup a keyword in your account (see related post)
- Use the API to integrate into your existing system
- Add an Opt-In form onto your website. You can use our plugin
- Import a contact list in a CSV file
WATCH THIS VIDEO ON CREATING CONTACT LISTS
What’s Next? Offer Great incentives for people. This means quality content. Don’t waste your customers’ time with spam or other empty sales information.